Doctoral students in Topology, Geometry and Reinforcement learning
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för elektroteknik och datavetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Computer Science
- 1) Topology and Geometry in Machine Learning
Developing the theoretical underpinnings of machine learning algorithms is crucial for making learning robust, data-efficient, and explainable. Understanding and exploiting geometric and topological properties of data is one of the challenges associated to this topic.
One position is focused on applying geometric and topological concepts and techniques in order to (i) analyze modern generative models, such as Variational Autoencoders and Generative Adversarial Networks, and (ii) improve their performance by enforcing geometric and topological priors.
The successful applicants will be expected to have a background and interest in Differential and Computational Geometry and Applied Topology, as well as a strong interest in Machine Learning and good programming skills.
- 2) Reinforcement learning, perception, and control
The second position will focus on integrating machine learning, perception, and control. We look into reinforcement learning and model predictive control for addressing problems such as robotic interaction with soft objects. The successful applicants will be expected to have a background and interest in automatic control and robotics, as well as a strong interest in Machine Learning and good programming skills.
Supervision: The doctoral students will be supervised by Danica Kragic Jensfelt
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A compulsory individual study plan to support your development in your area of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s doctoral student salary agreement .
- Postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as a study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest-growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at an advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at an advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- language requirements
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH, you need to be goal-oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work,
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyze and work with complex issues.
For this position the applicant must have:
- Good programming skills in C++ and Python
- Proficiency in Machine Learning methods
- Experience with real robotic system is preferred
- Proficiency in Computer Vision is preferred
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for the doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- A CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions and certificates of fulfilled language requirements .These need to be translated into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about the processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of a discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2020-0260
Last application date: 2020-03-19
Arbeidsgiveravgift andre annonser
Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, SMEs or Strategic Management (tenure track, 100%)
University of St. Gallen Sveits
Doktorand i pedagogiskt arbete
Karlstads universitet Karlstad
University of Basel Basel
PhD Position in Shoulder Biomechanics of Rotator Cuff Tear
University of Basel Basel
Doctoral Position in Neuroimmunology Research
University of Basel Basel